My son Sam shows up in October of 2000 and we started dragging him up hills in the AK (After Kids) Era of hiking. As you might expect, when the kids are along, the hikes are small in scale but large in joy. Also, this time frame involves moving from Utah to Duluth, Minnesota, so we trade the Intermountain West for the sawteeth of the North Shore of Superior.
– Glacier Trail. Great Basin National Park. Baker, Nevada. 30 Jun 2001. We hiked up a gorgeous mountain valley to a place filled with bristlecone pines, some of them over three thousand years old. One year old on my back next to trees that were there since the beginning of recorded history.
– Lake Blanche. Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah. 12 Jul 2001. Hiked up to a beautiful alpine lake so the toddler son could splash around. No pictures of this hike or the previous one. Thought there was film in the camera. There wasn’t. Super. My thoughts on the missing film are here.
– King’s Peak. Uinta Mountains, Utah. 17-19 Aug 2001. Just a couple weeks before terrorists ruined everything, Dieter Bareihs and I hit the high point of Utah.
– Oberg Mountain. North Shore, Minnesota. 5 Oct 2003. Minnesota gateway drug. Grace was in Shelley’s belly on this one, so all four of us have been to Oberg five times in the following decade. A great family destination that I describe here.
– Eagle Mountain. North Shore, MN. 5 Sep 2005. My friend Reed Bowman and I climb the high point in Minnesota. Saw a pine marten. Only time I’ve seen one. Frankly, not much to recommend here other than it’s the high point. Good day with Reedo, though.
– Ely’s Peak. Duluth, MN. 3 Oct 2005 and lots of other times. Another place that’s too convenient and awesome to leave alone. Nice views of the St. Louis River valley.
– Bean and Bear Lakes. North Shore, MN. 8 Sep 2007. Finally made it with the kids. We went an earlier time and it was too much for the little ones and we turned back. That happens in this hiking era.
– Turtlehead Peak. Red Rock Canyon State Park, Nevada. 24 Apr 2011. This was the day after hiking Angel’s Landing in Zion for the 4th time in my life. My notes say I climbed Angel’s Landing in 2009 with Brad Jackson and Stacy Nephew, which I completely forgot about. More proof that taking notes is important. Anyway, amazing weekend of hiking in the Southwest while hungover.
– Leveaux Mountain. North Shore, MN. 1 Oct 2011. Family trip to Oberg’s neighbor. You avoid the crowds and get the same view. I like the picture. It’s like American Gothic or something.
– Mount Rainier. Seattle, Washington. 6-7 Sep 2013. My friend Luke Huls and I parachute into Washington and try to summit Rainier. We didn’t make it. The glacier shifted overnight and ate all the ladders. We got to Disappointment Cleaver (appropriate) and no farther. Beautiful clear day though. Full story here.
– Oberg Mountain. North Shore, MN. 22 Sep 2013. Shortly after Rainier, we go to our happy place up the Shore. Leo shows his appreciation.
I wrap up all this hiking introspection next episode. Stay tuned for the thrilling finale.